Sunday, May 5, 2013

Fears

"What if your fears and dreams existed in the same place, would you still go there?"
Fear limits you- it's like a chain- only you can unlock it.
To name your fears is the first step to destroying them. If your not ready to get rid of your fears, you probably won't.

What are you afraid of? What are your really and truly afraid of? I dare you to stop and make a list right now. Be honest with yourself. Here's mine.
1. snakes
2. driving
3. spiders
4. never finding a good guy
5. not being pretty enough
6. hospitals
7. doctors
8. getting hurt

Alright now that we've identified our fears, we need to decide why we are afraid of them. How realistic are these fears? Are these fears helping us or holding us back?
For example I'm afraid of snakes because I'm afraid of getting bitten. My fear is greatly exaggerated. Because I'm going to Peru in the Amazon Jungle, it would be useful for me to overcome some of my fears about them and work on having a healthy understanding of snakes. It's ok for me still not to like them or want to touch them- that's healthy. But for every time I see a snake to run, scream, and have a panic attack? That is not the safest or most necessary response. My second fear driving is an unsafe fear that is definitely majorly holding me back. I'm working on overcoming it this summer as I let my dad practice driving with me, but it's not pleasant. Realize that overcoming your fears may not be fun. But the freedom that results from being fear-free is worth it! As Meg Cabot says "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” As I go to Peru, I will work on overcoming my fears of spiders and snakes since there will be an abundance of them. In Peru, with God's help I will also overcome my fear of doctors and hospitals. I will learn how to be a doctor in Peru which is something that would be (naturally) be total contrary to my character. My fears number four and five are things that God has been teaching me this year and helping me overcome. I praise God for everything He's done to give me more confidence and faith in Him.

 Eleanor Roosevelt says "Do one thing every day that scares you."
We should work to overcome all our fears so that we don't limit our self or what God wants to do in jus.
 God is bigger than any fear we may have.

2 Timothy 1:7  For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline

I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment