Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Comparison Game

Comparing ourselves with others is a huge struggle-- especially for teen girls.I know women of all ages fight this battle to compete to be better than one another. The result is selfishness and a falling away from God and His desires for you.
I've been there, done that. It's hard when you start comparing yourself and expecting yourself to live up to other people's standards. You wonder "Why do some girls seem to have it so good? They are beautiful, smart, and talented... Why not me God? What's wrong with me?"
Different is beautiful. God created each and every one of us totally unique. We were not designed to look the same or even to act the same.

Satan wants us to compare ourselves to each others. He wants you to look around and say "I'm no good. I'm not beautiful. I'm not talented. I'm not worth anything."

The spirit of comparison is a spirit of competition and it is directly contrary to God's character of love, care, and acceptance.

Comparison hinders God from blessing us to the full potential.
Comparison makes us focus on our self- instead of what Christ is doing in us!

We need to become aware of how God has made us unique. He has special ways of reaching us and speaking to us that are totally different than anyone else. Think about the things that God has shown you or given you that make you smile! I dare you to sit down for 5 minutes and make a list of some of these things. Here's some of mine just to get you started:

Running in a skirt* Swimming in the ocean* Submerging my face in the water* Sunsets* Shooting Stars* Butterflies* Fireflies* Sign language songs* Finger painting*Bike riding....

Think about these things, and talk to God about them. Tell Him thank you for creating you and for revealing these special things to you. When you are down or discouraged, go back to your list and do something that brings you God-given joy. Philippians 4:8-9 says "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

My short testimony about comparisons:
I have a problem with comparing my beauty to others. For a long time, I have felt like I don't measure up to the beauty that other girls have. Starting last summer when I read the book Captivating up through this year as I was a part of Gym Masters, God has been changing my heart. First he revealed to me the lie that I have been believing "I'm not pretty enough." "I'm not a feminine enough girl to have a boyfriend." Then he started putting people in my life to help me understand that this is not true and teach me how beautiful I really am. He gave me scriptural Bible verses and promises that show me how loved and beautifully treasured I am by God. Through this year, God has totally transformed my heart. Being in Gym Masters, being at Southern, and coming to know God closer than ever before has taught me that I really truly am beautiful. Beauty is not something that should be ranked or compared. Beauty is different and unique for everyone. God has given beauty in some way to every single girl and woman of God; I really and truly believe that.
Last night was SM dedication vespers. I dressed up and curled my hair because I wanted to look nice. As we were walking up to get the candles our picture would flash on the screen. My immediate thought before even seeing my picture was "Eww this is going to look horrible." As I walked thru instead of looking at my sm coordinator whose hand I was shaking, I looked up at my picture. All of a sudden, my total attitude and confidence changed. According to me, the picture was awful. In only a second of looking at that picture of myself, my total countenance changed. I wanted to run. I wanted to go back to my room. I was utterly embarrassed and I thought to myself "What am I doing? How can I be a missionary?"
I am telling you this story to illustrate how the comparison game can really effect us. Fortunately as I was standing on the side with my candle, I realized why I was upset. Once again I had believed Satan's lies. Once again I had believed that I wasn't pretty enough, or good enough.
Satan has put these lies in our hearts and in our minds. It will take time and work to get rid of them, but it is worth it. Maybe before you read this, you didn't even realize how much comparing yourself with others is affecting you. Maybe you compare your talents with others, your beauty, your spiritual life, your testimony. I pray that you ask God to reveal to you any comparing that you are doing and any lies from the devil that you have been  believing.
James 1:17 says that Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows.
Whatever good you have in your life right now- Praise God for it- because He is the giver of everything lovely, pure, and worthy of our attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment