Monday, April 15, 2013

Love like Jesus


I am reading EGW's book Steps to Christ for the first time for a Christian Spirituality class at Southern. As I have started studying more of her works this year, I am convinced that I was wrong about her all along. She preaches a message of love not judgment. I fear it is our generation, the collegiate, youth, and children that have misinterpreted EGW's messages. The representation of her that has been shown to many of us is wrong. For I was taught Ellen White says "don't don't don't" since I was a little child. And in defense, I decided that I follow the Bible and the Bible only. Lately God has been impressing my heart to study Ellen White more and since I have, I have found encouragement in her writings. I encourage you to check out Ellen White's writings for yourself.

How great it is to reflect on the love of the Lord. His love can be found in nature, revelation, the Bible, and in true followers of God. In nature God's love is made obvious, plain as day. When you go outside, you see Christ's beauty. I love going to places unharmed by the people of this world and society: the rural places ,the jungles, the rivers, the oceans, the stars- they reflect God's glory in this crazy totally awesome way. When you know that you are serving the God of all these beautiful creations then you experience this unexplainable peace. EGW writes "that "God is love" is written upon every opening bud, upon every spire of springing grass. The lovely birds making the air vocal with their happy songs, the delicately tinted flowers in their perfection perfuming the air, the lofty trees of the forest with their rich foliage of living green- all testify to the tender, fatherly care of our God and to His desire to make His children happy." If you are anxious, I encourage you to go outside. Go somewhere quiet, get some fresh air and meditate on how much you are loved and pursued by Your Creator.
I'm excited to go to Peru because I want to share God's love with the people there. On the student missionary retreat, one of the things we were told is going to another country isn't going to change you immediately, in fact it's not guaranteed to change you at all. They said that the first person we would meet in Peru is ourself. This makes sense to me because I want to think that as soon as I go to Peru, I will be crazy in love with God depending on Him more than ever. But as I step off that plane, I will still be Brooklyn, still have faults, and still be afraid of needles ;) I will still struggle with prayer and still have to fight the distractions of Satan that keep me away from God's word. I will also still have to learn how to express love to others. EGW writes that when Jesus came to certain cities "there were whole villages where there was not a moan of sickness in any house, for He had passed through them and healed all their sick." I want to be a light to the people in Peru. I want to heal the broken hearted, preach deliverance to the captives, recover sight to the blind, and set free those who are bruised- just like Jesus. I must struggle  and fight to make God a priority in my life now, if I want Him to reign in me in Peru.
Christ's life was one of self-denial and thoughtful care for others. Every soul was precious in His eyes. This is something we should strive for everyday. It's something we definitely can't do on our own- but we can ask God to fill our hearts with things of His: things that bring honor and glory to His name. We must first direct our thoughts towards Christ, for our thoughts lead to actions, actions to habits, and habits to character. Fill your hearts with Christ today. Meditate in His love. Meditate in His Word. You won't regret the time you invest in Christ =) For soon the things of this world shall fade, and only what's done for Christ will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment