Monday, January 28, 2013

Too Busy

Tonight I have a small dilemma: angel tryouts for sunrise or my team's last basketball game. At first I was just going to try out to be an angel, but now I'm having second doubts. My dad said to me on the phone "Forget the angel, you're on their team. You spread yourself so far out that your not good at anything." Once you make the Gym Masters team you fill all the extra time with other things so you don't have time to practice. You don't have time for your true friends any more or to study which is why your there".
Do you ever find yourself in the same situation? I mean I love so many things. It's easy to commit to things that you can't follow through with. I always find starting out easier than finishing and dreaming "funner" than the finale. What's the problem with all this? I mean I have good intentions.. isn't that enough?
No, that's not enough. I don't want to lie to people. I don't want to be a friend that misses their best friend's birthday or can't text them when their mom dies because they're too busy. I don't want to be so engrossed in my own life and pursuits that when someone needs my help, I don't have time to stop and help him.
There is something wonderful about walking to class early and taking the time to pray for the first three people you see. Or going out into the wilderness, all alone, and spending quality time just listening to God and nature. The Bible says countless times "Be still and know that I am God." We don't find God in the busyness, in the hurry and stress, running from one thing to another.. we find God when we look for him, when we open our eyes and focus on the needs of others and God's will instead of the things we need to accomplish.
Think about the parable of the Good Samaritan: when a Samaritan found a man laying on the side of the road in need, and took the time and effort, to stop his plans and take care of him. He gave him first aid, bandaged his wounds, led him to an inn, and provided care for him overnight. What a blessing. How can we be a blessing to others if we are too busy to see their needs?
We also have the Mary and Martha example. "But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. .... Jesus said "Martha, dear Martha, you' re fussing too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing One thing is essential, and Mary has chosen it
What do you choose today to focus on? Your problems, worries, to do lists, goals, dreams, and plans... or God, knowing Him, spending time in His word, and serving others.
Forget your worries, escape from this world's problems for some time with me.. let's think spiritually. Let's think about Christ and heaven together.

No comments:

Post a Comment