Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spirituality and my life

Spirituality:

"the capacity of forming the correct ethical judgment at each given moment in connection with the Holy Spirit. (Oscal Cullman)"

"a response to God's initiative, not something we initiate on our own. It means to center ourselves in Christ; He becomes the great passion of our lives" (SDA minister's manual)

"from loneliness to solitude, from hostility to hospitality, from illusion that life is about me to prayer." (Henri Nouwen)

I've never heard spirituality defined like this before. These are beautiful eye opening definitions, but they make me think. Do I really have that? Am I really a spiritual person?
* Do I feel like I know what God wants me to do in every situation?
* Is Christ the great passion in my lives? If He is, EVERYONE I encounter should see Him (not just my friends).
* When I am alone in my room or in a crowd am I content? When I meet loud people, drunk people, and different people is my first idea to give and to help rather than to judge? When I wake up every morning, do I pray instead of think about what I have to do?

If these definitions don't show you more Jesus and REAL faith then I don't know what will. These definitions are very convicting. To me they illustrate that life is about something different than we think. In the Bible it says "There is a way that seems right to a man but in the end it leads to death."

I challenge you to think about your own life. Do you have spirituality? It's not about actions, it's not about rules, it's about a relationship and a total surrender. It's not a natural, worldly, or a typical thing to have spirituality.

In "My Utmost for His Highest" it states "our reason for refusing is willful obstinacy". Obstinacy means stubbornness or self-will. If we want true spirituality, which I know I am searching for, we must think about what we are holding onto and refusing to give to God. Oswold Chambers says we must banish all pride and continually seek to surrender our lives to God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment