Sunday, January 27, 2013

HELP

BLOG READERS I NEED YOUR HELP I HAVE TO SUBMIT THIS ARTICLE TO THE SOUTHWESTERN UNION MAGAZINE IN TWO DAYS PLEASE READ AND GIVE ADVICE! I AM REALLY STRUGGLING WITH WORDING AND SHARING THE RIGHT IDEAS, IT'S LIKE I'M STUCK! THANK YOU =) I'M SUPPOSED TO SHARE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH CAMP AND WHEN I HELPED WINTYRE PRAY FOR THE FIRST TIME
 
Wewoka Woods has changed my life in so many ways. Ever since I started attending camp there at the age of 7, it has been a huge blessing  to me. I want to share an experience that happened last summer while counseling for Native American week.

 I had been told that many of the Native American campers had never heard about Jesus before and didn’t know the common Bible stories that I did as a child. I made it my goal to pray with them every morning and every night before they went to sleep and teach them how much Jesus loves them.

On the second day of camp, in cabin worship, I asked the girls if anyone wanted to pray. The youngest girl in the group, Wintyre, raised her hand, and I told her to go ahead. She closed her eyes and said Dear Jesus, Amen. I told her thank you for praying and talking to Jesus.

 On Wednesday night, Wintyr got scared and couldn’t go to sleep. I told her she could come into the main room of the cabin so we could talk. I told her that Jesus would never leave her and He would keep her safe. I also told  Wintyr the story about Jesus dying on the cross for her sins. She had never heard the story before. After we talked, I asked her if we could pray and ask Jesus to help her not feel scared. She said yes, and after we prayed  she went right to sleep.

The second to last day of camp, I asked the girls if anyone wanted to pray. Wintyre raised her hand. She prayed a beautiful 2 minute prayer asking God to keep her safe and telling her how much she loved Him. It was really amazing to me, because I knew it was the first time she had ever really talked to God. When she got done praying, her face was lit up with a smile and mine was too. I was really touched because she prayed exactly like me. This made me realize what an effect counselors really do have on their campers.

 Seeing Wyntre pray for the first time and have such faith in Him was really encouraging and eye opening to me. Sharing Jesus with others’ is so rewarding. We must look for every opportunity to share Him with the people around us. You might be the only glimpse of Jesus they ever see.

Counseling may be hard at times, but it is such an opportunity. To me, counseling is all about showing campers that Jesus is real and they are loved. Camp brings children to Christ, and if I one camper can see Jesus by the way I act, everything I do is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment